14 July 2013

DIFFICULT NEWS

I'd been dreading the scan 3 months after the radiation procedure. Every scan I have is anxiety-provoking, but I was particularly worried this time as I've continued to have distention in my stomach, some gut discomfort, lack of interest in food, and I've felt weary and tired no matter how much I sleep. In addition I've had some backache and tenderness in my lower ribs (on both sides) which can make it hard to sleep. I assumed that this was due to enlargement of the liver putting pressure on my abdominal cavity, which I'd experienced in the run-up to my diagnosis, so I was fairly sure these were all ominous signs.

However, the feedback from the scan reports was that there had been some small growth in 2 areas of the liver, and some shrinkage in another area, meaning that the overall conclusion was that things are stable. What I hadn't been expecting at all was that there are a few spots in my lungs - all very small, but in this context they have to be viewed as most likely to be further metastases (secondary cancer tumours).

I was totally devastated by this. I'd read somewhere that when metastases are only in the liver it's unusual for them to spread to other organs (in comparison to, say, breast cancer, which once it spreads often appears in the liver, lungs and bones), so I'd assumed that progression to other organs was one thing I didn't need to worry about. It scares me hugely: I can't generally feel my liver, so although I know it's carrying a large burden of disease I'm not aware of it inside my body, but my lungs I feel and am conscious of with every breath - somehow I feel much more intimately connected to my lungs. The idea of them becoming increasingly affected is terrifying, and, despite my best efforts to rein in my fears, for a few days I couldn't get the image out of my head of choking and gasping to death, drowning in my own fluids. I've been very tearful since hearing these results, and also had a kind of heavy despair: a conviction that this is the beginning of the end. As you'll see later in this post, the medical view is (for once) less pessimistic, but this is what's been going on in my head. 

The other emotion that's hit hard is disappointment. A high proportion of people undergoing the radiation treatment have a good response (i.e. it stops further growth for a while or shrinks things), and I felt very unlucky to have had such an equivocal result. I'd also seen the healer in Scotland a couple of weeks before, and had come away feeling quite positive, yet these results left me wondering whether any treatment is ever going to work, given that every scan for a more than a year has shown deterioration. So it's shaken my faith and knocked me back in a big way.

However, the doctor assured me that lung metastases (if that's what they turn out to be) can often cause no problems or symptoms at all. He also, very tactfully, pointed out that the main area of concern is still the liver (i.e. I'm in much more danger from that than I am from a few lung lesions). He said that the full response to SIRT (the radiation treatment) can sometimes take more than 3 months to show (so it's possible there's some benefit still happening), and in any case the fact that overall it's stabilised the liver tumours would indicate that it had been successful. If the stability were to last for some time, then it might be possible to consider repeating the SIRT in the future (although if it doesn't continue beyond a few months, there'd be no point in repeating the procedure).

So the team's recommendation was to do nothing at the moment, but re-scan in another 3 months, to see if there's any change over time. If I have any problems or new symptoms in the meantime I can go in and be assessed, and if necessary the scans can be brought forward - they'll also monitor my blood counts and liver function during this period. If things get worse, they'll discuss whether there's any further treatment they can offer. (I'd been told clearly, several times, that there isn't anything further they can do, but I guess if there's more deterioration they might consider riskier treatments than they would have done previously, since the process is a balance of risks and benefits.) 

Overall I'm very relieved by the team's decision. I was frightened of being discharged and left without any medical back-up, so it's hugely reassuring to hear not only that I'm still very much under their system, but they're clearly thinking very carefully about my case and are planning to keep reviewing it. I was also afraid they'd suggest re-starting chemo, which of course I would have done if it had been urgent, but I'm incredibly relieved not to have to face more gruelling draining treatment when I still feel nowhere near recovered from the last lot. And although I'm still struggling to deal with the emotional fall-out from the news, I'm grateful to have 3 months to process it, adjust to it, and do what I can to improve my physical recovery.

On that note, I saw my alternative doctor recently and told him the latest developments, and he too reiterated that these lung lesions could very well not cause any problems. Unlike the Marsden, he believed that the damage from chemo and radiation could very well explain the ongoing sensitivity of my digestive system. He also had an explanation for my tender ribs: apparently chemo can prevent nutrients and minerals being properly absorbed into the bones, leading to an effect a bit like osteoporosis, and as new bone tissue is produced to replace the gaps, it can mean bones feel tender or painful. I don't know whether this is an accepted scientific theory, but it makes an enormous difference to have a non-threatening explanation; and now that I'm not terrified it's a sign of something sinister, I'm already a lot less bothered by it. 

The alternative doctor also suggested doing some high-dose vitamin treatment (by intravenous infusion) and has agreed to put together a programme for me. Again, I don't know how much difference this might make, if any, to the state of the cancer, but it's incredibly reassuring to have someone say, "OK, we can do x y z" rather than believing that there's nothing which can be done. 

So gradually I'm getting my head round it all. In a way, nothing much has changed, but the emotional roller-coaster is certainly the most challenging thing at the moment. I haven't told many people yet (partly because I haven't been able to talk about it without crying, which is very draining), and I'm sorry that hearing this news via the blog is a rather impersonal way of communicating, but I hope you'll understand that it makes things much easier for me than having to repeat it dozens of times. 

I know that there are lots of people who care about me, but this is a very lonely process, and it's fair to say that I'm quite low at the moment (I didn't even have the heart to search for any cartoons). So if you feel moved to express support via a blog comment, text, email or card, your thoughts and good wishes would be very very welcome. 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous14/7/13

    Dearest Sylvia. A big hug to you. Sending all our love, hugs, support, prayers and thoughts to you. You are amazing and know that you are in my daily thoughts. Draw strength from your wonderful family and friends and their love. Lots of love, Mel and Greg xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15/7/13

    Hi Sylvia

    If you knew how much your friends and family think about you every single day, it would ease the "lonely process" by buckets and buckets. You are certainly inside our heads & hearts, so I hope that we can be equally present inside your head & heart when you need us.

    Lots of love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous15/7/13

    Sylvia

    Would you be willing to post a list of things that WE can do? I'm not sure the full range of things you would find supportive and helpful. For example:
    - text, email, card, blog comments
    - stopping by with a home-baked casserole (how American of me!)
    - meeting for lunch somewhere local to you
    - other?

    We are all so different that maybe there are things you would appreciate that other people just don't think about.

    xo xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous15/7/13

    Dearest Sylvia,
    So sorry that you are having to process all this and that you are finding it a lonely experience. You are deeply cared about by so many people, I can only reiterate what the other people above have said. Do let us know if there is anything we can do to be supportive or helpful, and please please know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers also.
    You are one brave and awesome woman.
    Sareyeh XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous15/7/13

    Hi Sylvia,
    Thank you for sharing this difficult news. We are thinking of you regularly as ever and wishing you every positive thing that can possibly come your way in such times.
    Also, we are so glad you and Belinda and the boys are coming to BB in August... it'll be great to see you all and we can hopefully be a collective distraction if that's what you need at the time....
    John, Shelley and kids XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda Foster15/7/13

    Sylvs I can't find the words to tell you how brave I think you are and how inspiring. I'm sending the maximum legal dose, and then some, of positive vibes your way right now. Love you loads xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark T15/7/13

    Sylvia, There are lots of people who care. That assertion doesn't make any of the things you mention any easier, but hopefully all of your friends' thoughts and good wishes can help. Lots of love, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous22/7/13


    HI,

    I can feel your heartbreak. It is a very lonely and challenging path and unfair.

    DO let us know HOW to help. I know you find it difficult to ask for help.

    You are so amazing and courageous and articulate. I often think of you when I need a boost!!


    Lots of love
    fiona

    ReplyDelete