14 April 2013

TREATMENT COMPLETE!

I'm sorry that it's taken me a while to update this...

I'm glad to say that the SIRT treatment (Selective Internal Radiation Treatment) all went ahead smoothly last Tuesday. As far as I know it all went to plan, but they gave me a higher dose of sedatives this time and I was very sleepy and woozy throughout most of it (which I was quite happy about! - as with the first part four weeks ago, I spent around two hours on the operating table and then another hour having scans to check all was as it should be, so dozing my way through it was very welcome.)

I spent a further night in the Marsden and was discharged on Wednesday afternoon. I'm on some follow-up medication - steroids, to prevent inflammation in the liver, guard against any allergic reaction to the beads, and give the immune system a bit of a boost; antacids to protect the stomach and gut from any adverse effects; and a drug to prevent any irritation to the gall bladder (which can get inflamed if any of the radioactive beads get into it) - and will have regular blood tests over the next couple of months to monitor how things are going. There'll be a scan done in 3 months and from that they'll be able to see what the impact of the SIRT has been. It feels a big relief to have some time without as much intensive contact with hospitals as I've had recently.

In the meantime I'm feeling better than I'd expected (or feared) - tired, and not wanting to do much, but thankfully no nausea or pain. Over the first couple of days I felt some sensations of discomfort at times in my liver, but nothing major, and it was kind of reassuring to feel that the radioactive beads were doing something. The radiation wears off within a week or so, and I'm glad to say no-one treated me as if I was contagious!


Close friends and family have been wonderful in setting up a rota of daily visits, to help out with shopping and cooking, and to provide moral support and company while I'm recovering, and that's boosted my mood immeasurably. Resting and doing very little can be good physically but can also feel quite depressing and limiting, as I found out in the week before the procedure - there's definitely a balance to strike. So I feel lucky to have such good support around me, and very relieved that so far I seem to be tolerating it pretty well. 

The challenges of the last few weeks have forced me to question where I'm at and  how I go on from here, so there may be a couple of more reflective posts coming up at some stage, but I'll leave it here for now. Thank you all again for your messages of support and good wishes - it means a great deal to me.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous14/4/13

    Hi Sylvia. Wonderful to get your blog email update. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Well written as always. Thinking of you as summer approaches for you and we go into winter. Not sure if you feel up to reading, but just started "the hundred year old man who climbed through a window and disappeared" from book club and caught my eye from the funny title. Sometimes it's just nice to escape into a book, but imagine you are exhausted from the last week and longer. Sending lots of love. Mel & Greg. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous15/4/13

    Thanks for the update Sylvia - been thinking about you. Hope you have something special planned for your birthday :)
    Lots of love,
    Sareyeh X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous15/4/13

    Glad all went according to plan, hope the beads are doing their work!
    Thanks for the update :-)
    love Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous18/4/13

    John and I are very happy that the process went well and was not painful or too stressful for you. We have been thinking of you and sending you good energy. John has been away last week on a course and has gone down to Devon for another one this week. He will not be back until the end of the month, but in the meantime if you need something or someone to visit you, just get in touch. I would gladly come up to Parsons Green to give you any support you need. Lots of love from Phoebe and John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda Foster20/4/13

    Hi Sylv, thanks for keeping us updated. Spring is here and I imagine you are welcoming the warm..ish weather, me too! Your new little cousin sends his love and looks forward to big cuddles xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous22/4/13

    Good to read this - as ever, major treatment borne with equanimity and stoicism. Hope things go as smoothly as you make them sound - which is probably smoother than they actually do! X. X. Oliver

    ReplyDelete