2 June 2012

TECHNICAL MATTERS

A few people have told me that they haven't been able to leave comments on the blog - I've checked that all the settings are correct, and as far as I can tell it should work OK now. You need to click on the words "0 comments" (or "1 comment" or whatever) at the bottom of what I've written, next to "Posted by Sylvia", and that will open a new window with a box where you can type your comment. Just click inside the box on the words, "Enter your comment", and you can start typing. Underneath the box it says "Comment as" followed by a drop-down menu - if you have a Google profile you can sign in, or else you can select "Anonymous" - though if you do this, please include your name in the comment box, otherwise I'll have no idea who it's from!


Other people have told me they like reading the blog but don't know how often to check it  - and I realise I do tend to have flurries of activity, rather than writing regularly - so although I'm completely at sea with all the new technology out there, last night I bit the bullet and spent a couple of hours trawling the internet to try and find out how to add the facility for subscribing to the blog. Eventually I found how to do this, and my understanding of it is that if you become a subscriber you'll get notified whenever there's new content on the blog - that is, if I've set things up correctly! 


You'll see that there are now two links on the top right corner of the blog. If you click on the top one, "Subscribe to Sylvia's news by email", it'll open a new window and invite you to enter your email address - then you'll get an email every time I put anything new on the blog. (I think it actually sends you what I've written in the email, but I'm not sure as I haven't tried it out myself - it would feel a bit sad to be the first subscriber to my own blog!) I don't think you can leave comments directly from the email feed, as it's called, but if you click on the title of the post (e.g. "Technical matters") you'll be taken straight into the main blog.


If you have other news sources already streamed into one place, you can add this blog by clicking on the second link "Subscribe in a reader" next to the orange and white icon. This option is good if you prefer to reduce emails and if you stream all the websites you read regularly into a single location. If you do this, then by definition you already know way more about it than I do, so I won't embarrass myself by trying to explain it any further! 


I hope that this makes it easier to keep up with what I'm writing here, if you'd like to. If things don't work as they should, please do let me know (either on the blog or by email), and although I'm not sure whether I'll be able to find the solution, I'll certainly do my best!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/6/12

    Hooray! am I your first subscriber??
    Meraud xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thank you so much for subscribing (imagine the humiliation if no-one did...) - maybe you should get some sort of prize! S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/6/12

    Works for me too!
    Graham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your RSS feed works perfectly via google reader, glad the email one does too :-) (Oh the things I've learnt through knitting - generally how to negotiate the Internet! Did you know we knitters are very technology-forward?)

    ReplyDelete