16 February 2012

DOWNS AND UPS

Afternoon sunlight over a frozen lake in the park
As ever, the stay at the clinic has been a bit of a mixed bag. The prospect of repeated visits ad infinitum got me quite down at times – it’s funny, of course I’ve known since I was diagnosed 15 months ago that the cancer’s very unlikely to disappear, but with hindsight I think I coped by convincing myself that, however horrible, this was just a phase I had to get through, and that somewhere down the line my life would go back to normal. (Or, ideally, having glimpsed death and undergone the requisite amount of suffering, my life would be transformed and wonderful and I'd appreciate every minute as a gift from the universe. Hmm, no pressure there then!) Some kind of protective mechanism must kick in to allow you only to take in what you can bear to face at that point in time. I think what’s happening now is that it’s sinking in, in a new way, that this will probably shape the rest of my life, however long that might be.

So there was some readjusting going on, and it was hard work at times to drag myself out of self-pity, or weariness at the prospect of keeping having to do all this indefinitely. (As the Red Queen in "Through the Looking-Glass" said, "It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!") However I also had some really lovely times with other patients and their support people (who somewhere down the line have become nicknamed “jockstraps”!). Whether it was deep conversations about facing our inner demons and making sense of why we’ve got cancer, or mealtime banter and joking, I felt enormously warmed by the connections I’ve made. Some of the people I’ve got to know well overlapped with me again - Hilary and her husband Arthur, Cathy and Dick from the US, Fiona from Scotland, John and Mary from Australia - and it was wonderful to cement those friendships and to share their company. Sadly it's unlikely that my schedule will coincide with theirs in the near future, which is a great shame, but I also met a number of other lovely people – the spirit of support seems to carry on despite the turnover. 

In addition Jenny and her husband Andy from Liverpool, who I met in January, are still at the clinic and have become a central part of clinic life. Jenny’s had a pretty rough time of things recently so when she couldn’t come down for meals we went to visit her instead. Her determination and courage are inspirational – it certainly helped me to get things in perspective. Her story's documented in Andy's blog at http://www.keepthefaith.org.uk/.



So there were some uplifting and precious times. A social highlight was going out for dinner at the nearby Kurhaus hotel – a much-needed change of scene and food – and we sampled a couple of the amazing cakes for dessert. 

Dinner with (left to right) Hilary, Andy, Lisa, Cathy, Dick and Arthur

The last couple of days warmed up (to a mere couple of degrees below freezing!) and there was a dusting of snow which brought a little magic to the village.

Main street of Bad Salzhausen

Cathy and Dick seeing me off as I left

Weathervane at the station


4 comments:

  1. Justine Clare16/2/12

    Hi Sylvia, its Justine here Jennys cousin. We met last weekend whilst I was visiting her at the clinic. I just wanted to say that I think your blog is incredibly candid and has really gone some way to helping me understanding the roller coaster of feelings that you and Jen must have gone through for a long time. It sounds as though you have had a tough time but are coping fantastically well, it was lovely to meet you and I hope to see you again at some point and also hear you play at some point in the future. Take care.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda Scotford22/2/12

    Another great post Sylvia. I know only too well what a roller coaster ride it all is. Sounds like you had a nice time catching up with everyone in between treatments, which certainly does help! Take care and hope to see you in a few months time (maybe not in the clinic!)... Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/3/12

    Hiya,

    Just catching up with the blog. I'm not surprised things are up and down emotionally. What a lot of stuff to deal with, and you can only really deal with it on your own. The blog is really useful in keeping us all up to speed on how you're doing emotionally and physically. Thank God for the German clinic - it sounds wonderful. It was great to see you the other week. Let me know if you fancy another pre-orchestra pizza soon! Ellie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria7/3/12

    Hi Sylvia,

    I've just been having a catch up with your blog and it sounds like the past few weeks have been emotionally draining. It seems the clinic in Germany continues to be an important anchor - not just for your treatment but for the support and solidarity you get from others there. Look forward to seeing you soon for a proper catch up. Love, Mariax

    ReplyDelete