16 December 2011

CHRISTMAS GREETINGS!

I've opted make life easier on myself by not writing Christmas cards this year - I hope you'll forgive the lack of personalised communication. A number of people have told me that they like the blog and have found it a useful way of keeping up to date with what's happening with me, so although of course I don't know how others find it, I hope that it doesn't feel too impersonal a medium for a Christmas message. 


I've been very moved by all your comments on the blog - what lovely people you are! - as well as your emails and other messages of support. It means a huge amount to me and has made me feel extremely cared about. I guess life-threatening illness (or any crisis) can be very isolating, since no-one else can know exactly how you feel, and sometimes writing the blog feels a bit lonely as there's no way of knowing whether people will read it or what they'll think, so getting your feedback has been very reassuring and encouraging. And I've been amazed to realise just how many people have been concerned about me - not just those who are close in my everyday life, but extended family, colleagues from work and my professional networks, and friends and acquaintances from school, university, travelling, orchestras past and present, group holidays, the clinic... It's made me appreciate how we can be touched, even in small ways, by everyone we come across, and that all kinds of relationships with other people - personal, professional, social, incidental - go into making our experiences, and our sense of ourselves, what they are. I feel very blessed to have so many people take an interest in me and wish me well, and although I've been pretty rubbish at saying it individually, I'm overawed by that, and can't thank you enough.


In terms of my plans for Christmas: in spite of being newly retired on health grounds (or actually, in defiance of it!), I'm now off for a week's skiing in Val d'Isere, and am incredibly excited about it. Skiing has long been a passion of mine, and when I had to cancel a ski trip in January 2010 (I'd just started chemo, and besides was feeling pretty weak), I was gutted to think I probably wouldn't ski again. My next trip to Germany is just after New Year, which is a slightly longer window between treatments than usual, so this was the perfect opportunity to go. Plus I'm very aware of the importance of seizing the moment while I'm well enough. So although I'm prepared to take things as gently as I need to, I'm thrilled to be going.


When I get back I'll be spending Christmas with my sisters and their families, my father and his wife - all the Kapps together - and am really looking forward to it. I wish all of you a wonderful Christmas - I hope that wherever you are and whoever you spend it with, it will be full of warmth and affection and fun. Whether for you it's a spiritual occasion, or a welcome break from work, or a reunion with family and friends, or a chance to indulge and kick back, I wish you and those who are close to you all happiness, health and good cheer for both Christmas and the New Year. May 2012 bring joy to all of us!


Much love to you all, Sylvia 



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous17/12/11

    I won't be alone in being overwhelmed by the kaleidoscope of issues and emotions thrown up by today's two blog entries. Thank you for putting up pictures of your treatments and of the people you have met in clinic who have meant so much to you. It helps your friends when you demystify and undemonise your condition (at least one word in that last sentence doesn't really exist!).
    Can I reciprocate your good wishes for Christmas (which, for my own lesser reasons, I'm really not looking forward to), and more importantly, a positive 2012. Love as ever from an old orchestral friend, Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous18/12/11

    WHEEEEEEEEEEEE ! have a great time skiing. Lots of love
    K xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark T18/12/11

    Have a great time skiing and a very Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia. I'm currently at Dr Herzog's clinic with my wife and Cathy & Dick pointed me in the direction of your blog. I'd like to link our blog to yours so if you are happy for me to add a link to your blog on our site please email me at andy@keepthefaith.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous23/12/11

    Merry Christmas Sylvia - I hope you had a great time ski-ing and look forward to seeing you in the New Year :)
    Sareyeh XXX

    ReplyDelete